Monday, May 02, 2005

Satintones mp3s from The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 1

Before the Jackson 5, the Supremes, and even the Funk Brothers, Motown had The Satintones. According to their All Music Guide bio,

The Satintones were Motown's first group, recording for the company from 1960 through 1961 and releasing six singles. This was during Motown's blues and mundane R&B era, and before the arrival of the jazz-based rhythmic backing of the Funk Brothers; a time when Ivy Joe Hunter led the session musicians, not Earl Van Dyke; a period when Motown released nine bad records for every good one; and a time when disc jockeys cringed at 45s sporting the Tamla or Motown logo.


and
You won't find any of their single releases -- "My Beloved," "Motor City," "Tomorrow and Always," "Angel," "I Know How It Feels," and "Zing Went the Strings of My Heart" -- on any Motown compilation album.


You won't find them, that is, until now. All of their singles are on Hip-O's The Complete Motown Singles, Volume 1: 1959-1961.

Satintones mp3s:
Motor City
Angel
Sugar Daddy
My Kind of Love

1 comment:

Arethusa said...

These are some nice tracks, I especially like "Angel". I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it I wouldn't change the station on oldies night.