Thursday, February 17, 2005

Stylus Album of the Week - Bloc Party

Silent Alarm gets an A+:

Screw context, screw biography—Bloc Party have been around too short a time for either to matter. What is important is that they have a sense of adventure, romance, belief and intelligence, of art, a desire to explode preconceptions and exceed expectations that marks them out way above and beyond any of their perceived peers. Silent Alarm is a debut about desperation, about being desperately angry at injustice, about being desperately confused with the world, about being desperately in love. It sets its aim high from the off, drums deliberately mixed too loud in opener “Like Eating Glass” in order to make you fully aware that something important and intense is about to happen. Is happening.


Dude loves him some Bloc Party.

more:

Lyrically Bloc Party are intriguing, mysterious and emotive; sonically they are intricate and explosive in equal measure. They’re rhythmically taut, aesthetically pleasing, ideologically sound and probably contain no harmful CFC gases either. Silent Alarm is an astonishing debut album and I love it. Bloc Party are the first band in eight years that I feel I can care about. The sky is wide open for them.



Dude loves him some Bloc Party.

6 comments:

Arethusa said...

They're touring Canada (ie Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver) in April! I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait, I can't wait.

RC666 said...

If canowine would stop making babies he might be ablet to attend SAT APR 9- BLOC PARTY, THE PONYS $12 mainstage 9:30 at the Black Cat in DC. Perhaps Sugarduck, tom, keoki, and I will go have fun and tell him all about it.

John said...

RC666, you really are evil. Possibly the beast himself.

Arethusa said...

Canowine is making babies?? Hmmm you know in some instances that could be more interesting than Bloc Party, but there's no reason he can't do both. Go to the concert C!

John said...

Interesting enough to be worth more than 12 bucks. In some instances. ;-)

I think maybe I'll see them in Canada. Too many devil-worshippers hang at el Gato Negro.

Anonymous said...

You know ,I have some runescape gold,and my friend also

has some rs gold,do you kouw they have the same

meaning,Both of them can be called runescape money
I just want to buy runescape,because there are many
cheap rs gold