Wednesday, February 02, 2005

MTV Smut Peddlers

Conservative watchdog group Parents Television Council blasted MTV as "smut peddlers" Tuesday, accusing the music cable network of targeting young viewers with oversexed programming.


and

"There's no question that TV influences the attitudes and perceptions of young viewers, and MTV is deliberately marketing its raunch to millions of innocent children," PTC president L. Brent Bozell said.


and

An MTV spokeswoman said, "It's just unfortunate that Mr. Bozell has yet again attempted to unfairly and unaccurately paint MTV with a brush of irresponsibility around sexual and violent content. The report underestimates young people's level of intellect and sophistication."


-from Report Rips MTV 'Smut' Aimed at Teens

She has a point there. Many young people are intellectual and sophisticated. But you won't find them walking out among the Reality MTV manure, or watching any of the station's infinite fuming shitpile of lame commercial dung. I do admit, though, that I check out a video or two online from time to time.

I remember when MTV was so innocent, so young, so fullscreen, and so much more dark and unlame than it is today.

Read the PTC report here.

Here's an excerpt of the report:

IV. Examples (WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT)
Foul Language

Examples of foul language on reality shows:

Making the Band 3/25/04 10:00 p.m.

Fred: “I say the [bleeped ‘fuck’] what I want to say to you or your [bleeped ‘mother’] fucking husband. Your [bleeped ‘fucking’] husband’s going to get my money before tonight so I can get my shirt. [Bleeped ‘Fuck’] both of ya’ll. [Bleeped ‘Fuck’] that. I was going to say this. If you gotta go home to your kids, let us know cuz we a group. All that [bleeped ‘fuck’] Fred shit.”

Sara: “I didn’t say [bleeped ‘fuck’] Fred. Didn’t nobody say that. I never said that. What the [bleeped ‘fuck’] are you talking about man?”

Fred: “You know what I’m gonna [bleeped ‘fucking’] do? I’m gonna [bleeped ‘fucking’] show you Fred . . . I got [bleeped ‘fucking’] kids.”

Ness: “Shut the [bleeped ‘fuck’] up [bleeped ‘mother fucker’]. Shut the [bleeped ’fuck‘] up [bleeped ‘mother fucker’].”

Sara: "What the [bleeped ‘fuck’] is he saying [bleeped ‘fucking’] Fred for, I never said that [bleeped ‘shit’].”



Making the Video – D12 My Band 3/22/04 11:30 p.m.

Eminem films the limo scene. Two women wearing tiny dresses are in the scene. Eminem says, "They [bleeped ‘fucking’] want me. They [bleeped ‘fucking’] want me, dude. I [bleeped ‘fucking’] rap, dude. I [bleeped ‘fucking’] rap."


The PTC website also has "The Worst TV Clip of the Week" in the right sidebar, which comes with this warning:

WARNING: Graphic Content!!!
Do NOT push play if you don't want to see the explicit video!!!

9 comments:

SugarDuck said...

mtv has been peddling smut for 20 years and these people just figured it out?

-epm said...

Hey, here's an idea. Shut off the [bleeped 'flippin'] TV. Gosh!

That what I did.

SugarDuck said...

Yes! I went to that website and the simple concept of turning off the television is strangely absent. I thought conservatives believed in personal responsibility?

I was sympathetic to the outrage over the NFL/Desparate Housewives promo because I do think it is reasonable that a parent would like to spend time with their child watching a national sports event without their young child being exposed to things that go against the family's values.

But MTV is a cable station. Just turn off the tv if you don't like it. Even PAX tv is not as good for your kids as no tv.

John said...

You can't totally cut off the TV, though. Then you end up with what other kids call "those freaky kids who aren't allowed to watch TV." And nobody wants to come over to the house to visit because they end up playing lame board games and Go Fish all night.

Animal Planet is not all that bad. Every kid needs to see turtles humping at some point in their childhood.

I also recommend Soul Train to teach our youngsters rhythm and the value of a nice round bootie.

If it were a perfect world, they would find a way to combine the two, maybe Animal Soul Planet, where you get to watch wild animals mate and kill each other to today's hottest jams.

SugarDuck said...

Soul Train?! You are so old!

I'm not saying everyone should stop letting their kids watch tv. These PTC parents might as well, though, their kids are already freaks: "the freaky kids whose parents want to ban MTV". Who wants to go over to that house? Probably all the good tv channels are blocked.

The so-called smuttiness of tv doesn't concern me as much as the unrelenting marketing. I think there is way too much advertising directed at kids today and that it is getting almost impossible to shield your children from it without doing a Mosquito Island.

SugarDuck said...

Animal Planet is a mixed blessing. "K9-to-5" shows kids the good values of working hard through the lives of adorable working dogs. But then the "animal rescue" shows are completely depressing and make me cry!

-epm said...

No. Sometimes it's not as easy as just shutting the TV off. But there are other alternatives, like requesting an MTV block: a filter you add to the cable. Or you could discuss with your kids why you think MTV ho's are ho's and that you have higher expectations for your kids.

I know it's hard. Been there, done that. I no longer have cable, but when I did I ended up dropping my package down for the Exteded to the Basic broadcast service. It's not that I was running around the house in my Cotton Mather costume screaming "BLASPHEMER!" it's just that I wanted to set the tone *in my house* of what I thought was appropriate. It's like, I know my kids know all the creative curse words out there... but they don't hear it from me. Now that they're older they've mentioned that the way I set the example at home has made a difference.

John said...

And there's the happy medium. I do believe that the happiest medium consists of a lot less TV and a lot more conversation and outdoor play. It's the kids and adults who watch the most TV that seem to complain the most about boredom.

Anonymous said...

You know ,I have some priston tale Gold,and my friend also

has some priston tale Money,do you kouw they have the same

meaning,I just want to buy priston tale Gold,because there are many cheap priston tale Gold