Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Evil Dead Minus Bruce Campbell


Come and get some.

From Evil Dead Remake Talk in Now Playing magazine:

The 1981 Evil Dead was the ultra-low budget horror flick that first got the Spider-Man director noticed. Now Raimi, producer Rob Tapert, and star Bruce Campbell are moving ahead with a proposed redux of the film. And for starters, Tapert has confirmed with Now Playing that Campbell will not be appearing as Ash, the idiot-hero of the original films.


Ash: [talking to mirror] I'm fine... I'm fine...
[Mirror Ash jumps out of the mirror and grabs Ash]
Mirror Ash: I don't think so. We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw. Does that sound "fine"?
(Evil Dead 2)

Just as frightening:

It’s already been established that Raimi will not be directing the remake either, but that he, Tapert and Campbell are looking for a fresh perspective on the series.


Ash: You bastards! Why are you torturing me like this? Why? (Evil Dead)

“[We’re] talking to various filmmakers about their possible interest, and it’s still in the germination stage,” says Tapert. “There are people who we would like to give a chance to create their own vision as to what Evil Dead is, so we’re kind of hearing what other people’s take might be and moving forward along those lines.”

Tapert explains that he and his partners are not just looking for a copycat Sam Raimi to make the film either, but rather they hope to find someone who can make the premise fun again even for the Dead creators themselves.


[Upon gaining the chain saw in place of his lost right hand]
Ash: Groovy. (Evil Dead 2)



3 comments:

Arethusa said...

I just saw the "Evil Dead" on DVD last year after my renewed burst of internet activity the last couple of years allowed me to hear about it. I dug it but I can't work up much excitement about this sequel.

I guess it's time I saw "Evil Dead 2".

John said...

Why can't we just leave a cult classic just be, right? So the movies weren't blockbusters when they were released. That's an essential part of their charm. That's part of why they remain cherished over time.

John said...

Arethusa, I strongly recommend Evil Dead 2.