Monday, August 08, 2005

The Visions of Bliss

Gentle "chill out" music usually bores me to tears.

Last night, though, I came across the U.S. edition of Quiet Letters, the new album from Bliss. I tried to resist, but some of the songs surprised me with pleasant contrasts--I won't give you specifics, but you can hear some in the first track below, and I smiled at the visions (hey, I'm vacation-rested and open-minded) I had while listening. Maybe Bliss will do the same for you. You'll have to listen with headphones, though. Meditative postures optional, along with incense and any other smokes.

Long Life to You My Friend starts out like Donnie Darko background music, and morphs into an amalgam of international sounds. Just when you think it's going to be lame and boring, the uplifting African vocals come in. My vision during this track? That great epic Shakespearean tragedy, The Lion King. If Timon and Pumbaa were to say farewell to the hakuna matata days and part ways, this might be the theme music. Kinda makes you want to cry, doesn't it.

Bliss - Long Life to You My Friend (mp3)

Right There brought visions of a great Shakespearean comedic drama - the High School Prom. It's the perfect prom theme song. It will take you back to your ballroom dance floor, when you wished you were slow dancing with someone else as you sucked face and groped ass with your high-haired pimplefaced date. Too bad it will never be played at a prom.

Bliss - Right There (mp3)

No comments: