Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ten Frank Black Singalongs, Song 9: His Kingly Cave



Fans know that His Kingly Cave, from Devil's Workshop, is about a visit to Graceland with a head full of shroom:

It's about a trip that I took to Graceland many years ago. I thought it would be fun to take hallucinogenic mushrooms while I was there. I was much younger than I am now. It's not something I would really do now. I was young and dumb and I went to Graceland with my girlfriend and we took mushrooms and it was a horrible and tense day. That's a telling of that day in that story.

-From this priceless interview on FreeWilliamsburg.com.


But is it also a dark parable about recklessly chasing death?

He’s tripping over graves
As the rain begins to fall
And finally they escape
When the shuttle bus is called
The mourners now abate
As one begins to say
I scream I scream for all


...

He wants an altered state
Inside the mansion walls
She says she’d rather wait
Yeah, for evening to fall
But still the cap they ate
And with a drink they chased
The ghost that called


Frank Black & The Catholics - His Kingly Cave (mp3)

No comments: