Monday, December 24, 2007

Ten Frank Black Singalongs, Song 3: Adda Lee



In Frank Black's own words:

'Adda Lee' is a fictitious name, but it's a real person. A person I loved very much and who is dead. Normally, I wouldn't write about a topic quite so personal, but it was a short song and it was a nice song and, for whatever reason, Adda Lee crept into it; it became a lyric and felt right at the time. It's a little ditty about a very big thing. I con't think I could ever write an epic called 'Adda Lee'.
- Frank Black, VOX Issue 30, March 1993.

(From FrankBlack.net)

This might be his most heartbreaking song. I imagine him driving out to a lake, where he is overcome not by the world's cold indifference, but by some sort of consciousness that a good life was now gone, and he sees her wave goodbye in the breaking moonlit waves, her way of telling him that she forgives him.

I'm a wishbone
And I'm breaking
Yeah, I'm wishing for Adda Lee

And the lake sings
And the dogs don't
They are quiet for Adda Lee
Adda Lee

I`m sorry and I miss you
And away, I went away
Cause I wished I was away
I wished I was away

A wishing well, of well wishing
And Adda waves away
Adda waves away


Frank Black - Adda Lee (mp3)

From Frank Black.(1993).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post. I confess I always saw this as an answer song to the Breeders' "Cannonball" - purely because I interpreted it as a Cannonball Adderley reference. But it must have been recorded before Cannonball came out.