Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Way Home Is Going To Be A Hell Of A Ride

Surfing MySpaces is rarely poetic, but I paused tonight as I clicked on profiles, and noted that almost all of them said "Last Login: 9/11/2007", and wondered how many "last logins" were on 9/11/01. Was myspace even around then? I don't remember.

Anyway, there's something about the anniversary of 9/11 that makes me yearn for the introspective, and I know that the Danish songwriter Jacob Faurholt probably didn't intend to have his song interpreted the way I did today, but mix lyrics of reminiscence with the memory of that moment, and the realization that nothing will ever be the same, and the grasping intimacy of the guitar, and you've got a recipe for a good emotional jolt, and the immediate reaction is to think that this song is manipulative, but then you realize that you've only manipulated yourself, and that the song has nothing at all to do with 9/11, and finally notice that you've been thinking on one long sentence, but that's okay today, because for the last 6 years, today has been one long stream of consciousness.

Jacob Faurholt - Back Home (mp3)

Hurrah Hurrah will be out in November on Danish label Quartermain Records.

No comments: