Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Great American Songbook

If you missed last month's issue of MOJO, or if you only picked up Volume 2 of their Born in the USA: The Great American Songbook, you missed out on something special. Volume 1 was a 15-track compilation of traditional American classics, from Hank Williams' You Win Again to Woody Guthrie's Washington Talkin' Blues to The Stanley Brothers' Man of Constant Sorrow. It also has the Jelly Roll Morton track posted below, in which Jelly Roll plays piano and tells the story of I'm Alabama Bound before breaking into song. The Story of I'm Alabama Bound is from his recently released Complete Library of Congress Recordings.

The Ian & Sylvia track goes out to The Keoki (one of our contributors), Karen & Gabe, who left a big fat hole in our lives this week when they moved to San Antonio. It's good to hear you're all doing well and eating thick juicy Texas steaks, brother. I doubt you'll ever run into Freegans in Texas, and that's a good thing, right? Anyway, I think I speak for all of us when I say that You Were On My Mind pretty much nails how we feel.

mp3s from Born in the USA: The Great American Songbook, Vol. 1:

Ian and Sylvia - You Were On My Mind
Jelly Roll Morton - The Story Of I'm Alabama Bound
Leadbelly - Midnight Special
The Doc Watson Family - I Heard My Mother Weeping

No comments: