Friday, August 28, 2009

Tarantino on soundtracks and strangling.

Quentin Tarantino, from a recent interview on NPR.

...oddly enough, I've always - I've never actually seen "The Alamo" itself, actually. So I don't really have the association of "Green Leaves of Summer" as being "The Alamo" theme. Oddly enough, I grew up watching kung fu movies. They would use the theme "Green Leaves of Summer" in a lot of needle drops in kung fu movies a lot. So I was actually more familiar with it in a Bruce Lai(ph) movie than I was actually from the John Wayne film...

But what happened was I came across, I found this really fantastic used record store in Japan, and I bought all these different records and different 45s, and one of the 45s was just, it had the theme, "Green Leaves of Summer," the theme to "The Alamo" on one side, and then on the flip side was a theme to, the theme to "The Magnificent Seven.

...
So it's like a combination of the opposable thumbs, it's the combination of the brain and the thought process and the will to do it. I mean, boa constrictors suffocate people, but they don't strangle them. And you know, you can kill somebody with a knife. You can do all these kinds of things that are up close and personal, but you really have to bring your strength, and really - you have to really be committed to actually strangle the life out of somebody, to crush their larynx and just squeeze every drop of life out of them.


Nick Perito - Green Leaves of Summer (mp3)

From the Inglourious Basterds soundtrack.


No comments: