Wednesday, August 15, 2007

It's Okay. You'll Answer Me Someday...

The mixtape would be extinct if people like you and I stopped making them. These two vintage songs made it on the one I'm working on now. What's on yours?

Bran Van 3000's Exactly Like Me! (mp3) made it for its playfulness:

I like what your t-shirt says:
I'm with stupid and stupid's with me.
Let's climb to the top of the state bridge and see how stupid we can be.

...
Your house, your house, your house I will explore
Your cold marble floors and secret doors,
The fine lines of your architecture,
And if you need me, I'll come and see thee, and be your visitor,
We'll play kissy kissy and have a baby and figure out,
What we're alive for.


The Comas' Falling (mp3) is so spare and bittersweet. It's a great song to play on the acoustic, but listen closely to the way the other instruments create distance.

You are falling through outer space
but it's okay, cuz you're coming back someday
and I have been crawling through outer space
it's okay, cuz you'll pick me up someday

...
Now I'm stuck here in this room
While you're tethered to the moon
but you will soon come around
and i'll be waiting on the ground

Now you are falling through outer space
but it's okay cuz you're coming back someday
and I have been calling through outer space
it's okay, cuz you'll answer me someday


Own BV3's Glee and The Comas' Conductor

No comments: