Monday, February 12, 2007

Bracing for the Storm.

Salt truck, salt truck, clear my path
All my dreams have frozen fast
I want roads that I can drive on
I want a love I can rely on.

Salt truck, salt truck, it’s a shame
Driving in the freezing rain
I want roads that I can drive on
I want a man I can rely on.

Salt truck, salt truck.

Salt truck, salt truck, after hours
Spinning in the snowflake showers
I want roads that I can drive on
I want a friend that I can rely on...


Eleni Mandell - Salt Truck (mp3)

Mandell conjured up the road song "Salt Truck" as she and her bandmates were trying to get from Detroit to New York on the I-80 during a treacherous winter storm. “It was just harrowing,” she remembers, “and any time a salt truck would appear to lay down the salt on the road, we all breathed a huge sigh of relief. So it became a kind of metaphor for life and love.”

- Starkult Promotion

Eleni Mandell's new album, The Miracle of Five, has the kind of smart, honest songwriting that makes records endure for decades. She articulates and bares insecurities like no one else.


Here's a video to an equally brilliant song from the same album:



I wonder how you look when you sleep
Do you still dream about girls from your street
Do you still dream about girls from high school
Do you still dream about girls girls girls?


And one more:



Singing like he could be crying, leaping or lying,
Looking for love to keep him from dying.

No comments: