Thursday, July 19, 2007



Alex Dupree, on the making of Las Meridanzas:
...And community swallowed individuality but we were proud of our ideas and didn't notice...

...we groped desperately at hope, never expecting that we would hurt each other. And I led the parade shouting, until my friendships could barely stand the strain. They began to break apart. And the first disappointment set in.

...I felt responsible, and I felt disgusted that I felt responsible...all I could see was a crumbling community, and I was overcome by guilt. So I left Austin.

I toured across the country and lived in my car for four months, playing music with a friend under the name HOOCH DUPREE AND THE WHISKEY PRIEST. On returning home in 2007, I set about mixing and finishing the second Trapdoor Band album by myself. Exploring and scrutinizing every moment of each live take.

Every moment of our life together. That essential tension between an individual and his community. This album, heavy with the events of the past two years, is LAS MERIDANZAS.


So much regret and despair. So why does its release, in the form of song, sound this brilliant and rejoiceful?

Alex Dupree and the Trapdoor Band - We'll Never Make It (mp3)
Alex Dupree and the Trapdoor Band - The Hidden Legacy of Elisabeth Ney (mp3)

Own Las Meridanzas.

No comments: