Monday, December 05, 2005

Otis My Man!

When I was a wee lad, my Uncle Jeff gave me all his records for safekeeping. It was a box of gorgeous wax that included Sgt Pepper's still in the shrinkwrap, beautiful Hendrix albums, sexy Stones records, inebriated Doors discs. The whole nine! They had these amazing covers that were basically peices of art and they would take you away somewhere and sequester you for about 45 minutes at a time (unless it was a double LP). Anywho, the one record that got more airplay from me than all of them, was a live record of Jimi Hendrix on one side and Otis Redding on the other. LIVE AT MONTEREY, exclaimed the cover and it made your ears cry. But, oddly it was the Otis Redding side that got the most action from me. It was a short version of his legendary set at the Monterey Pop festival where he turned on a bunch of hippies to soul. Redding tears through his set and listening to it as a young boy of about 12, it was the one concert I wanted to get in a time machine and go back to. You cant find that album never made it to CD which is a damn shame. But it served as my door to Otis and other soul legends. What I have here is Otis Redding doing a pretty sweet Christmas song called Merry Christmas Baby, and it's kind of amazing. The organ and the jingling bells really do it for me. A sweet little bauble you might find under the tree after you open everything else, but wow does it shine. Enjoy!

Merry Christmas Baby - Otis Redding

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know ,I have some priston tale Gold,and my friend also

has some priston tale Money,do you kouw they have the same

meaning,I just want to buy priston tale Gold,because there are many cheap priston tale Gold